Blogs > The Full-Court Press

Welcome back to the Trentonian's Full-Court Press blog. Yes, we're still alive, and with the 2015-16 season rapidly approaching, it's time to fire up the old blog for another season. Check back here throughout the year for updates on all things Rider and Princeton, including coverage of both the MAAC and Ivy League. Feel free to drop me a line on twitter @kj_franko (https://twitter.com/kj_franko) or email kfranko@trentonian.com.

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Tommy Dempsey after Rider's 69-49 loss

Opening statement:

Just hard to find a lot of positives, or any. We’re in a tough place right now. We’re not playing well. We’re not shooting well, obviously, and just can’t get it going for whatever reason. We just have to keep pushing. I don’t know any other way. We haven’t been in this place in a while. Hopefully we’ll play ourselves out of it.

Is there a message that someone or everyone isn't getting?

I don’t know. I don’t know. I think that we’re together. I think the players want to be good. It’s just not going well. I think this is where as leaders we have to be at our best, starting at the top with me and trickling down to the captains, Justin and Ryan and Mike.

The easiest thing to do is blame one another, but I’m not blaming them, I certainly hope that they’re not blaming me and that they’re not blaming each other. I think that’s how you turn things around. We’re in it together when it’s going good. We’re in it together when it’s going bad, and right now it’s going bad.

On being out-rebounded 50-32:

I don’t think it’s a lack of effort. We struggled early with transition defense. I was barking in the huddle about getting back on defense, and Iona did a good job of attacking us after misses early, so maybe that had a little bit to do it. We weren’t in good rebounding positions either, because a lot of shots came out of their press where you’re not in great rebounding position to begin with. We ended up playing small a lot because of all the press, just trying to get some ball-handling teams out on the court, so we didn’t have our big lineup in there very much, which was also a factor.

Does the team need a reminder that this same group won 19 games last year?

I think I know who we are from a standpoint of we know how many games we won over the last few years. I don’t think anybody has given in that we can’t win several more this year. I haven’t had a chance to talk to them much about what just happened, but going into today’s game, there wasn’t a sense of that. I think we were just trying to play ourselves out of a funk. It just hasn’t happened. When it does, we’ll start getting some wins.

7 Comments:

Anonymous tmd39 said...

Is he kidding with this crap? He gets run out of his own gym and the best he's got is "I don't know" and "I think the players want to be good"? There is no way he's gonna blame this mess on the players.

January 10, 2010 at 8:49 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He has totally lost this team. For a guy who is keeps patting himself on the back on what a great coach he is, he has shown time and time again, he is lost on the sidelines.

January 10, 2010 at 10:23 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it is really tough to have a team that is together when the best player wants the season to be over so he can go to the NBA. That type of crap attitude affects the whole team. he shows no leadership. how can you coach that type of kid as the supposed best player on your team....impossible

January 10, 2010 at 11:13 AM 
Blogger Yonkers said...

Sorry Doods, but I won't be visiting the blog for a while. I cannot follow this team that repays my love and support with scorn. I'm sorry you have to cover them on a daily basis.

January 10, 2010 at 1:23 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

is it just me or does this team seem to have no chemistry. many times yesterday where it seemed nobody had any idea with what the other person was gonna do with the ball besides the rt alley oop early. saw one instance where gadson and rt were actually yelling at each other

January 10, 2010 at 6:41 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

RT thinks that he's a first round pick and does not want novar to steal his touches and shots...of course there is no chemistry. Your best player should be a leader that brings the team together.

January 10, 2010 at 7:09 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only job RT will have in the NBA is if his brother can convince the Kings to hire him as a ball-boy.

January 11, 2010 at 8:36 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home