Blogs > The Full-Court Press

Welcome back to the Trentonian's Full-Court Press blog. Yes, we're still alive, and with the 2015-16 season rapidly approaching, it's time to fire up the old blog for another season. Check back here throughout the year for updates on all things Rider and Princeton, including coverage of both the MAAC and Ivy League. Feel free to drop me a line on twitter @kj_franko (https://twitter.com/kj_franko) or email kfranko@trentonian.com.

Saturday, June 8, 2013

Jason Thompson says he exepects to be part of Kings' plans

Jason Thompson was in town for Rider University's Alumni game. Trentonian Photo/ GREGG SLABODA

LAWRENCEVILLE — Jason Thompson is finally enjoying his summer.

The former Rider University star was on campus Saturday to take part in the school’s Alumni basketball game and said afterward he was relieved when the sale of the Sacramento Kings was completed.

The deal to sell the franchise to a group led by software tycoon Vivek Ranadive and keep it in California’s Capital city instead of a move to Seattle was finalized on May 31.

“I didn’t want to move,” said Thompson after helping his group of past Broncs to a victory. “Having the uncertainty of fans — not knowing if we were going to stay — it was a tough situation. But it’s something we don’t have to look at any more because we’re staying.”


With the Kings staying put, Thompson said he’s looking at it as a fresh start.

“Not just for players, but for staff and organization and fans especially,” he said.

The Kings recently hired Mike Malone to coach the team and are searching for a new general manager. Thompson said he hasn’t spoken with Malone yet, but he expects to be part of the organization’s plans moving forward.

Thompson was drafted 12th overall in 2008 by Sacramento and last summer signed a 5-year contract worth over $30 million, making it unlikely the Kings would part ways with him although a number of roster and staff changes are expected.

“I’m under contract,” said Thompson, who averaged 10.9 points and 6.7 rebounds per game for a team that finished 28-54. “I don’t know about anyone else. I know that’s where I’m at unless I see myself on the bottom ticker.”

Thompson is averaging 10.5 points and 7.1 rebounds per game over his four-year career.

He was back at Rider to participate in the school’s Alumni game where he was joined by his brother Ryan and several other former players.

Ryan completed the 2012-13 season with Belgian team Aalstar, averaging 18.3 points per game.

Also on hand to play were young alumni Mike Ringgold (2011), Novar Gadson (2012), Kevin Noon (2012) and first-ballot Rider Hall of Famer Jerry Johnson (2005), who just completed the 2012-13 season with BC Astana of Kazakhstan.

“I want people to know I never changed even though I got drafted and did something out of the ordinary at this school,” Thompson said. “It’s always great to look back at how I developed and where I started from.

“This was the first time I came back and played. It was good to come back and play against some of these guys and see some of the familiar faces. I had a good time.”

***
 
Kevin Baggett recently revealed that Paul Johnson, a 2006 Rider graduate, will take over as director of basketball operations.

The position on Baggett’s staff opened up after assistant coach Lou Rowe left to join Anthony Evans’ staff at Florida International.

Baggett promoted John Griffin to assistant and hired Johnson.

“It feels really good. I can’t even express how happy I am to be back,” said Johnson, who also suited up for the Alumni game. “I was gone a long time and it feels really good to be home.”

Johnson averaged 7.6 points per game as senior.

He spent last year as an assistant at Virginia Wesleyan College, helping the Marlins to a 23-8 record and a place in the NCAA Division III tournament third round.

“I love playing basketball and I just felt like I wasn’t done with the game,” Johnson said. “I wanted to be involved in the game and coaching is a great way to do that.

“I’m a guy that’s not to far removed from playing so I can related to the players. I think that’s my biggest asset.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home