Blogs > The Full-Court Press

Welcome back to the Trentonian's Full-Court Press blog. Yes, we're still alive, and with the 2015-16 season rapidly approaching, it's time to fire up the old blog for another season. Check back here throughout the year for updates on all things Rider and Princeton, including coverage of both the MAAC and Ivy League. Feel free to drop me a line on twitter @kj_franko (https://twitter.com/kj_franko) or email kfranko@trentonian.com.

Monday, January 5, 2009

Q and A with Jason Thompson


There was quite a scene today at Alumni Gym, where Rider retired Jason Thompson's No. 1 before beating Marist 76-65.

Just about everyone in the gym was there to see Thompson, including his former high school rival-turned-roommate/teammate, Kam Warner.

Before the ceremony, Thompson sat down with reporters in Tommy Dempsey's office. Here's the transcript:

Q: Can you talk about what this means to you?

A: It’s a great thing. I’d be lying if I said when I was coming in as a freshman that I would be in this situation. I didn’t know what to expect. It just shows that all the hard work I put in for four years has paid off. I got a lost of respect now just on the court when I was here but also off as well.

Q. Were you in this office when you were a high school kid, being recruited by coach Don Harnum?

A: I was. I remember being right here in this seat, having my unofficial visit, having my official visit, just looking at how I was going to be able to fit in for this team and being here four years later, being in a league when I always wanted to be in as a little kid is a dream come true. I’m proud to be in this situation.

Q: In hindsight, I guess you fit in pretty well at Rider.

A: Yeah, I get a lot of respect here. I loved playing here. I had a lot of family and I’m close to a lot of people here.

Q: How does it feel to not only have your number retired but to have it retired so soon?

A: That was the thing that I really respect. I’m just blessed. A lot of people respect me on and off the court. I wouldn’t have expected it to happen at all. Having it happen this early is a great thing. To be able to play against a local team (the Nets) and be able to watch a game and celebrate having my jersey retired, it’s a great thing.

Q: How about being in the NBA and walking in here, seeing all these people?

A: It’s a feeling I never thought I would have. I had chills when I first got here just watching my brother and watching my teammates, knowing that I was here this time last year and now I’m watching, and it’s not that I’m injured or anything like that, it’s just that I’m at another level. It’s a good thing and I’m here to support not just getting my jersey retired, but I’m still a fan of the Rider Broncs.

Q: Your former teammate and roommate Kam Warner said he watches every game on TV via the NBA pay per view package. How does that make you feel?

A: That’s my man. That’s my guy. We came in here both as freshmen and graduated as seniors and he’s been my roommate since we got here. We keep in contact, but he’s not the only one who supports me. A lot of people support me – teammates, family, friends – I know the NBA is making a lot of money on the NBA package since we have west coast games and a lot of people are losing sleep because it’s a three hour difference. That’s just all the support and love that I get and I’m appreciative for it.

Q: Talk about how things are going in your rookie year.

A: I came in and made a little bit of history, the first game of the season, starting out with a double-double. I’ve been playing the 3, 4 and 5. It’s been a tough situation. We haven’t been winning as much as I’ve been used to. We got our coach fired and we have an interim coach so I’m going through adversity right now. I feel like for you to be on top you have to be on the bottom at some point and I feel like we’re there learning and hopefully I won’t be in this situation again.

Q: When you were at Rider, the situation was different in that Don Harnum was promoted, not fired, but you had an interim coach in Tommy Dempsey and you lost 20 games your sophomore year. Did that help prepare you at all for the situation you’re in now?

A: That situation was kind of different because Coach Dempsey was really vocal and I had a good relationship with him from the start but it had it’s similarities and differences. But for the most part, I kind of know both coaches so it wasn’t as tough. Harnum and Dempsey’s systems were similar. I had more time to learn Dempsey’s system and it obviously worked in the long run.

Q: How much do you talk to Ryan and what do you talk about?

A: We talk all the time. We talk about him being the leader of the team. He’s going to have ups and downs. He’s going to have good games and bad games, but his team is young and they’re going to need him to be a leader. It’s easy to be a leader when things are going to good, but the young guys are going to need him when they’re losing and they go through a losing streak. That’s when it’s really important for him to lead?

Q: Did you talk to him about this particular game?

A: I said man, you guys have to excite the crowd, excite me, get some highlights in and have a celebration here. You guys can’t do me wrong and get an L on this day. You have to go out with a W.

Q: Will you work out with Ryan this summer?

A: We’ll see what happens. I’m obviously going to take a little bit of much-needed vacation. But we’ll see what situation he’s in. Obviously, he has another year of college left so we’ll see what he’s going to do. I haven’t thought about that yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home