Blogs > The Full-Court Press

Welcome back to the Trentonian's Full-Court Press blog. Yes, we're still alive, and with the 2015-16 season rapidly approaching, it's time to fire up the old blog for another season. Check back here throughout the year for updates on all things Rider and Princeton, including coverage of both the MAAC and Ivy League. Feel free to drop me a line on twitter @kj_franko (https://twitter.com/kj_franko) or email kfranko@trentonian.com.

Friday, December 4, 2015

Former TCA standout Chazz Patterson growing into leadership role at Saint Peter's

Chazz Patterson, right, defends against Rider's Teddy Okereafor. Jackie Schear Photo

Lawrenceville >> If Saint Peter’s coach John Dunne ever needed someone to take his kids to school in a pinch, he would call Chazz Patterson.

The junior guard would probably show up with a couple brown-bag lunches to boot.

“If I have to,” Patterson quipped, “I will.”

But that’s what Dunne, the Peacocks’ 10th-year coach, likes about the former Trenton Catholic Academy standout.

“He’ll do anything for us,” Dunne said. “I think we have a lot of guys like that this year, but he leads by example.”

Since SPU graduated six seniors from last season’s 16-18 team, which reached the MAAC Tournament semifinals, Patterson was asked to take more of a leadership role on a squad chalk full of young faces. The Peacocks only have two seniors.

Patterson admits he’s not the most vocal guy, but there are other ways to be a leader.

“I can lead by example, talk to guys on the side,” Patterson said after SPU beat Rider, 73-61, on Wednesday night. “Whatever coach needs me to do, I’ll do it. I don’t need to score a bunch of points. I only had eight points (against Rider). ... Whatever it takes to win, I’m satisfied.”

The Browns Mills native has made considerable strides since he joined the Jersey City school in 2012-13. Or as Dunne put it, he could “barely get through skill work when he first got to us.” Patterson has upped his point-per-game average from 2.9 last season to 10.7 through the first six this year. He’s playing a career-best 31.3 minutes, but his biggest contributions come on the defensive end.

Dunne trumpeted him as one of the better defenders in the conference.

“I do want to say this publicly that he is the type of guy as this year goes along that we should be considering as a defensive-type guy in our conference,” the coach said. “We’ll see how the year progresses. I’m not making any grand statements, I’m just saying he’s a heck of a defender and we’re fortunate to have him.”

“If I can be the best defender in the league, I’ll take it,” Patterson said. “Any accolade I can get, I’ll take it, especially defensively.”

The Peacocks snapped a four-game losing streak with Wednesday night’s victory over Rider. Three of their four losses have come by a combined five points.

“Especially starting 1-4 coming in, now looking at it from a league standpoint, we’re 1-0,” Patterson said. “As far as I’m concerned, we’re undefeated.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home