Blogs > The Full-Court Press

Welcome back to the Trentonian's Full-Court Press blog. Yes, we're still alive, and with the 2015-16 season rapidly approaching, it's time to fire up the old blog for another season. Check back here throughout the year for updates on all things Rider and Princeton, including coverage of both the MAAC and Ivy League. Feel free to drop me a line on twitter @kj_franko (https://twitter.com/kj_franko) or email kfranko@trentonian.com.

Monday, March 2, 2015

Rider walk-on Emerson Bursis gets his moment to shine

Rider's Emerson Bursis scored his first basket of the season against Marist. (Gregg Slaboda Photo)

Lawrenceville >> On a frigid January night Emerson Bursis was sitting in the empty lobby of Rider University’s Alumni Gymnasium 90 minutes after the host Broncs just lost to Monmouth. The national championship football game was on in the background with the volume muted when someone walked by and asked, “What are you still doing here?”

Bursis was working on a business law elective course he took over the winter break so he can finish his master’s degree in business administration this year and begin law school.

Bursis is also a member of Rider’s basketball team, which just won its 21st game Sunday afternoon and heads to next weekend’s Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference tournament as the No. 2 seed.

“I have pretty good time management,” said Bursis, a graduate student who already has bachelor’s degrees in economics and finance.

But why basketball? Why put yourself through the workouts just to be a walk-on?

Those questions, Bursis admits, he gets a lot.

“I can’t overemphasize enough how much this program has helped me,” Bursis said. “A lot of people don’t realize my first few months here, I was not the vocal leader or the person I am today. I’ve grown up so much. This program has helped me mature.”

Enough that he’s also served as the president of the finance society and is working as a graduate research assistant for the finance department.

Enough that he’s ready to tackle law school and pursue a career in either securities or international cooperate law.

“That’s the fabric of our program,” head coach Kevin Baggett said. “Guys like Emerson who do things the right way, who work hard, who come to practice everyday. He’s a leader on and off the court. He does everything in the classroom we ask him to do. Guys respect him in every way.”

That was clear when Baggett gave Bursis his first career start Sunday on Senior Day and his teammates mobbed him like he just scored the game-winning basket when he was introduced over the public address system.

Bursis played the first 3:30, grabbing a rebound and taking a charge. He attempted a 3-pointer, but that came up well short.

“I wish he would have made that 3,” sophomore guard Jimmie Taylor said.

“Or hit the rim,” Bursis quipped.

There would be time for celebration later.

With victory No. 21 in hand, Baggett sent Bursis back into the game as the crowd chanted for him.

This time he scored, making a layup for Rider’s final two points in a 59-49 win.

“Don’t miss,” Bursis said.

The basket was his first this season.

“I’ve never really liked that position,” Bursis said. “I’m always really uncomfortable when I come in during the last two minutes. I don’t like playing non-normal style basketball. I like to play within the rhythm of the offense. At the end of the game, my teammates support me and they want me to get the ball and score. I’ve never really been comfortable in that spot.”

On Sunday it was OK.

“I came in being extremely competitive,” Bursis said. “I didn’t want to be a guy that just played on Senior Night. I worked tirelessly to pursue that goal. It didn’t work out that well, but it was a pretty good ending, and I’m happy with it.

So was everyone else.

“This was his night,” Taylor said.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home